2008 Catana 50
Alameda CA, US
PANDORA’S CAT is an owners version that is immaculate throughout. Her knowledgeable, original owners took delivery of her new in France and they have cruised the world in comfort and safety. The condition and maintenance of the yacht is remarkable! She has new Trampolines and a brand new Doyle Stack Pack & Lazy Jack System. Her interior and exterior soft goods are perfect as are her soles and cabinetry. From bow to stern she shows like a new yacht.
Catana catamarans have been plying the world’s oceans safely and swiftly for 25 years and have proven to be one of the most popular brands of cats on the water. The Catana design team has consistently developed new and interesting features in their yachts to make them safe, stable and fast.
Catanas are distinctively Catanas, with a purposeful, modern look, and innovative hull forms. The builder has stressed safety and comfort in the design of the hulls and they offer unique shapes below the water to reduce pitching motion. The deep daggerboards greatly enhance windward sailing ability. The 50 has a carbon fiber mast, an aluminum boom, and advanced rigging systems that have evolved from the offshore racing fleet. The sail plan offers plenty of power yet the boat is meant for a cruising couple so hardware, sheet leads and winches are arranged to be convenient to the helm stations. The 50 is a performance sailboat first and a commodious home afloat second. With a beam of almost 26 feet, and high volume hulls, the cabin spaces inside are spacious and comfortable.
The owners suite on PANDORA’S CAT is the entire starboard hull with a large sleeping cabin, head, separate stall shower, washer / dryer and loads of storage. The guest cabins are fore and aft in the port hull. A huge pantry will hold ample provisions for extended cruising. The main salon is vast, with a dinette that can accommodate six adults and a galley suitable for gourmet chefs. The galley is located aft to port in the salon and a large opening window connects it with the cockpit for serving and entertaining. There is a comfortable forward facing nav station and the interior finish is modern and elegant. The views from the dinette are expansive and views from the cockpit are unobstructed by supports.
If you are looking for a floating home in which to explore the world in safety and comfort at high speeds, PANDORA’S CAT offers a proven and unique solution. As soon as you step aboard, you know the yacht was designed by sailors for sailors and she is configured to meet the rigors of the sea.
She was hauled and painted in July 2017. Her sail drives and engines were just serviced.
Call us today to inspect this fine cruising cat!
Full SpecsAccommodations Overview
PANDORA'S CAT, is the highly desirable owner’s version with a starboard hull master suite, she is simply immaculate throughout. Her knowledgeable, original owners took delivery of her new in France and have enjoyed cruising the world in comfort and safety since. A recent addition to their family will keep them on land for some time, so PANDORA’S CAT is now available at a great price.
This is not the sellers’ first Catana, and it shows. The condition and maintenance of this yacht is remarkable! Her interior and exterior soft goods are virtually perfect, as are her soles and cabinetry. From bow to stern she has been loved and respected, and she shows like new.
A true sailor’s boat, Catana catamarans have been plying the world’s oceans safely and swiftly for 25 years and have well-earned their stature as one of the most respected catamaran brands on the water. While these cats are renowned for their aesthetic beauty, luxury and spaciousness, the Catana design team has also consistently developed new and interesting features in their yachts to make them safe, stable and fast.
Catana's are distinctively Catana's, with purposeful, sleek lines and hull forms. The builder has stressed safety and comfort in the design of the hulls, which offer unique shapes below the water to reduce pitching motion and enhance windward performance. The 50 has daggerboards that greatly improve windward sailing ability. The 50 has a carbon fiber mast, an aluminum boom and advanced rigging systems that have evolved from the offshore racing fleet. Another very welcome feature of the 50 is the hard foredeck with anchor locker between the trampolines, making anchoring in any conditions easier and safer.
The sail plan offers plenty of power, yet the boat is meant for a cruising couple, so hardware, sheet leads and winches are arranged to be convenient to the outboard helm stations. The 50 is a performance sailboat first, and a commodious home afloat closely second. Of course, one can fit a lot of living space in a 50-foot cat, and Catana’s designers are masters at doing just that. With a beam of almost 26 feet and high-volume hulls, the cabin spaces inside are quite generous and comfortable.
The starboard hull owner’s suite on PANDORA'S CAT offers a spacious and airy, cross-ventilated sleeping cabin with a king size berth, head with sink, separate shower stall and vanity, and expertly crafted modern cabinetry revealing a huge volume of organized storage. The port hull guest staterooms are fore (a double) and aft (two twin berths), along with loads of additional storage.
The main salon is vast and bright, with a dinette that opens to accommodate six or more adults and a galley suitable for a gourmet chef, with plenty of solid-surface countertop, a double sink, and stainless appliances including three independent versatile fridges or freezers (just modulate the temperatures as you wish). PANDORA’S CAT has the much-preferred layout with the galley aft to port and a wide sliding window connecting it with the huge cockpit, a feature ideal for serving and entertaining.
The well laid out nav station is forward-facing, and while it is set aside, it’s still very much part of the living space. The salon’s interior finish is light, modern and elegant, with matching wood blinds throughout. The views from the dinette are expansive and the massive 180-degree cockpit panorama is unobstructed by supports. The convergence of these beautifully conceived design elements results in a truly indoor-outdoor living and cruising experience.
If you are looking for a floating home on which to explore the world in safety and comfort, and at very good speed, PANDORA’S CAT offers a proven and unique solution. A soon as you step aboard, you’ll know the yacht was designed by sailors for sailors and equipped to meet the rigors of the sea.
She was last hauled and painted in July 2017. Her sail drives and engines are freshly serviced and she has new trampolines and a brand-new Doyle Stack Pack and lazy jack system.
PANDORA’S CAT is truly an excellent value and an opportunity not to be missed. Please call us today to view this amazing Catana 50!
The huge cockpit is spectacular with a large freestanding molded fiberglass hardtop over the cockpit, which is cantilevered with no aft supports. The top appears to be free floating without supports that would otherwise block the views aft and to the sides. It has recessed lighting to create a dramatic ambiance after dark. Eight solar panels are flush mounted on the hardtop. The port and starboard helm stations are outboard providing excellent visibility for the helmsman. There is a solid teak table to port that is surrounded by a comfortable wrap around upholstered settee. Across to starboard is a comfortable straight settee that converts to a comfortable lounge. There are two huge storage lockers in the sole with teak hatch covers. Davits across the transom can accommodate up to a 12-foot inflatable. There are teak covered steps on the transom of each hull with engine room access through large opening hatches. A huge sliding glass window opens to connect the cockpit with the galley counter and the main salon.
- Large sliding French window opens to connect the galley / main salon to the cockpit
- Beautiful large solid teak cockpit table
- Wrap around settee
- 2 large storage lockers in sole
- 1 large storage locker in cockpit seat
- Large starboard cockpit settee that converts into a comfortable lounge chair with cushions
- Cockpit cushions with backrests in closed cell foam and Sunbrella covers
- Free standing hard top with recessed lighting
- Soft removable windscreen for the hard top
- Built-in cockpit lights in hard top and transoms
- Stainless steel swim ladder, with teak steps
- Cockpit shower with pressurised water (cold and hot)
- 4 Handrails
- 2 Large hatches for access to the engine rooms
Styling is modern but subdued, with white fiberglass and a gray fabric overhead that together produce a clean and current look. The salon sole is dark with light stripe composite material with an excellent antiskid surface that adds to the contemporary feel of the space. The luxurious upholstery around the dinette is off white UltraSuede that shows like new in perfect condition. The dinette table folds in to a triangle or folds out to a large square that can accommodate 6-8 for dinner.
- Cushion covers in luxurious light yellow UltraSuede in perfect condition
- UltraSuede cushions in high resilient thick foam for an optimum comfort
- Wood venetian mini blinds on all windows
Sony Bravia 32' LCD flat screen TV connected to Bose Lifestyle surround sound and DVD system with Accoustimass base. 2 Speakers in cockpit (zone 1) and 5 speakers in bridge deck (zone 2).
- Exterior window covers in 70% for privacy and UV protection
- Halogen lighting with dimmer
- Hulls floors in foam sandwich, Wenge finish, maintenance free
- Cabinetwork in natural satin varnished oak
- Trim in satin varnished oak
- Brushed stainless accents
- Isothermal ceilings, gray Alcantara covered with recessed halogen lighting
- Blinds and mosquito screens on each cabin porthole
- Salon table with built-in bar
- Bose surround sound stereo system
- Chart table with storage, removable writing pad/laptop storage
- All the navigation and communication electronics are within reach
- Sliding door for access to the owners suite in starboard hull
In the main salon, a U-shaped galley lies to port, with the long leg of the U providing a counter than can double as a bar for entertaining. A large aluminum-framed window can be opened so the cook's a member of the party, whether it rages inside, outside, or both. Cooking is done on a four-burner stove and oven. Refrigeration includes a 160L Frigoboat refridgerator and two 110L Frigoboat freezers that can also be used a refrigerators with a simple temperature adjustment. When it's time to clean up, there's an in-sink disposal.
- U-Shaped galley to port, with large sliding window that opens to cockpit
- AquaBase 64 GPH Fresh Watermaker
- Raritan Tall Icerette Icemaker- Stainless Steel, adjacent to galley door in cockpit
- (1) Stainless steel Frigoboat 160L Refrigerator in galley with keel cooler
- (2) Stainless steel Frigoboat 110L Freezers with keel cooler (can be used as addl. refrigerators.)
- 4 burner Arthur Martin Electrolux propane stove
- Airlux Convection Oven with built in rotisserie
- Double Stainless steel sinks with covers
- Numerous drawers, cabinets and lockers
- Propane system with safety regulator
- Fresh water jet tap
- Drain tap for Watermaker
Owners Suite - Starboard Hull
The entire starboard hull contains the owners suite. There is a sliding door to separate this space from the main salon. A king size berth is aft with storage below. moving forward there are numerous hanging lockers and cabinets for storage, a compartment for the marine toilet and vanity sink as well as a separate compartment with an additional vanity sink followed by a luxurious stall shower in the bow. Additionally, there is a washer dryer unit in a cabinet. This suite is a very pleasant area for the owners to retire after a long day on the water.
- King size berth with storage below
- Sliding door to separate the space from the main salon
- Extensive cabinetry for clothing storage
- Compartment with vanity sink and marine toilet
- Separate compartment with an additional vanity sink and separate stall shower
- Washer / Dryer concealed in a cabinet
Guest Cabins - Port Hull
The port hull contains two comfortable private guest cabins. The aft guest stateroom has two comfortable twin berths and the forward guest cabin has a large double berth. Between the two private cabins there is more storage including a large pantry cabinet to accommodate provisioning the yacht for long passages.
- Aft private cabin with twin berths and ample storage.
- Private head compartment with shower
- Forward private cabin with double berth
- Large pantry storage adjacent to the companionway
Engine Room Equipment
Both engine rooms are accessed via large opening hatches that are incorporated in the transom steps on either side. The engines are separated from the living spaces and very well insulated. The engine rooms are sensibly arranged and all components are easily accessed for maintenance. There is ample space in each engine room for additional equipment.
- (2) VOLVO D2 Inboard 75 HP diesel engines with 1360 hours, sound-proofed and totally separate from the accommodations
- Saildrive transmissions fully serviced in July 2017
- VOLVO Folding 4 blade propellers
- Engine control panels with alarms
- Electric engine controls at each helm station
- Racor Fuel filters
- Bauer Junior II Dive Compressor
- Webasto central Diesel Heating System
- ONAN Generator 7 KVA in 220V / 50Hz (9 KVA in 100V/60Hz) in sound shield enclosure with dedicated starting battery and quiet water lock exhaust - approx. 1250 hours
Electronics and Navigation
- Furuno 1834CBB Black Box Chartplotter with laptop connection
- Furuno 1834CBB 4 KW NavNet Color Digital 48 mile Radar w/ Samsung monitor
- Furuno GP32 GPS
- (2) Furuno NavPilot 511 Autopilots (Completely independent/redundant systems)
- Furuno FM-2721 VHF Radiotelephone
- Furuno FI-50 Wind Speed & Direction- 3 Analog Wind, 1 Tri-Data & 2 Multi's
- Interphase SE-200 Depth Sounder - non operational
- (2) Plastimo Compasses
- Inmarsat BGAN Satellite telephone & data system ( antenna, terminal & telephone) - fully operational
Deck and Hull Equipment
- New high comfort woven trampolines - 2017
- Bauer Junior II Dive Compressor with custom storage for 2 Scuba tanks
(2) 20 liter light fiberglass propane tanks (American), purchased 2011
(2) 10 liter light fiberglass propane tanks (American) , purchased 2011
- Multiple opening hatches for light and ventilation
- UV Window Covers on all bridge deck windows
- 2 deck hatches for access to the large bow sail lockers, with vents
- Ventilation and escape hatches on inboard sides
- 2 Roof front hatches for ventilation of the salon 200x400 mm
- 8 portholes on out-board sides of the cabins, 190x300mm
- 2 portholes on inner sides of the aft cabins, 190x 645mm
- 6 head and Companionways portholes Deck equipment
- 14 Cleats - including two custom cleats added to aft beam for securing the dinghy
- 4 Pad eyes to set a harness or the jibe preventer
- Deck toe rails and handholds in solid Teak
- 2 fore pulpit seats in Teak
- 2 reinforced aft pulpits
- Aft guardrail in stainless steel tubes
- 6 Stainless steel stanchions 60 cm (23.6 in.)
- Double guard lines all around the boat
- 2 boarding gates - 1 at each transom
- Catwalk with built-in storage
- 1000 L/H (26.4 US gal/H) pressurized fresh water pump to clean the deck, outlet at mast foot Mooring
- Lofrans 3000W Electric Windlass with remote control, circuit breaker and control at starboard helm station
- Bridle on the stems, with built-in stemhead on front beam
- Set of black braided Nylon warps, diameter 18 mm (0.7 in.): 4 x 15 m (65,6 ft.), 2 x 25 m (82 ft.), 1 x 50 m (164 ft.) Helm, steering stations
- 2 polyester steering stations with outside protection
- 2 double steering seats with backrest
- 2 magnetic Plastimo compasses with correction, protection covers and lighting
- 2 leather covered steering wheels
- WHITLOCK mechanical transmission system
- 2 balanced spade rudders mounted with JP3 self-aligning bushers
- Emergency tiller
2 Victron 3000W charger/inverters allow PANDORA'S CAT to seamlessly travel and plug into shore power all over the world regardless of frequency of local power sources (50 or 60 Hz).
There are eight solar panels mounted on the hardtop to produce power.(2) Victron Phoenix Multiplus 24-3000-70 Charger/Inverters convert DC current from the battery bank to AC current and can handle everything except the heaviest appliances The Onan generator only needs to run occasionally. Separate starting batteries for the two engines, generator, and house batteries are stored across the bridgedeck just forward of the dinette seat.
- ONAN MDKBLGenerator 7.5 KVA in 220V / 50Hz (9 KVA in 100V/60Hz) in sound shield enclosure with dedicated starting battery and quiet water lock exhaust - approx. 1250 hours
- Battery charging: 8 Panel Solar Array on hardtop
- Battery charging: - (2) Victron Phoenix Multiplus 24-3000-70 Charger/Inverters
- Battery charging: (2) Mastervolt 105 Amp x 24 volt Engine Alternators
- 2 x 115 AH Engine starting batteries
- 1 x 115 AH Generator start battery
- 6 x 115 AH service voltage: 24V House batteries
- Alarm for discharge of batteries
- 1 Waterproof shore (AC) inlet, with 20m extension cord
- Inverter 24V/AC of 3000 VA
- Complete electric panel with all the electrical functions of the boat (AC and DC)
- Digital ampmeter and Voltmeter
- 1 x 12 V outlets
Mast and Rigging
The yacht does not currently have a Code-0 headsail. The owners made the decision to market the yacht without this sail to give the buyer flexibility in choosing the headsail configuration of their preference.
- Brand new Doyle Stack Pack & Lazy Jack System - 2017
- Carbon Alucarbon Mast - 21.5 meters (approx. 70'6")
- Carbon Bowsprit
- All Spectra running rigging except main sheet and Code 0 sheet
- (2) HARKEN 60 STAE Electric self-tailing Code 0 sheet winches
- 1 Central HARKEN 53.2 STAE Central Electric Winch in cockpit for mainsail halyard and reefing lines
- 2 HARKEN 48.2 STA Mainsail sheet winches
- 2 HARKEN 48.2 STA Winches for dagger boards and roller furling gear
- 1 HARKEN 48.2 STA Winch for head sail halyards,
- Mainsail Double sheeting system
- Complete gear with HARKEN ball bearing blocks
- Navtek Shrouds updated in January 2011
- New Solent stay (2017) in stainless steel rod
- 1 Solent self tacking rail with double ball bearing blocks
- 18 SPINLOCK Stoppers
- White lacquered Carbon fiber mast with spreaders
- Deck and navigation lights
- Radar and Inmarsat antenna mounted on mast
- Mainsail batt-car system
- Structural fibreglass/carbon composite front cross beam
- Solent stay in stainless steel rod
- Code 0 stay in stranded stainless steel
- Diamonds in stainless steel rod
- Catana double davit system on transom
- Strapping system for securing the dinghy
- 11' (3.4 meters) Zodiac RIB Dinghy
- 25 hp Yamaha 2 Stroke Outboard (reliable and serviceable in remote destinations)
- Lofrans 3000W Titan Electric Windlass with remote control, circuit breaker and control at starboard helm station
- Rocna 55 120 Lb. (55 kg) Anchor
- 300' (100 meters) Galvanized steel chain
- Bridle on the stems, with built-in stem head on front beam
- Spare aluminum spade anchor
- 6 person, offshore life raft mounted under bridge deck (due for service)
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. Buyer should assume that items on the vessel at the time of viewing, but not specifically listed on this specification sheet, are not included with the sale of the yacht, and should instruct his agents, or his surveyors to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. Buyer assumes responsibility to verify all speeds, consumptions, capacities and other measurements contained herein and otherwise provided, and agrees to instruct his surveyor to confirm such details prior to purchase. This vessel is subject to sale, price and inventory changes, and withdrawal from market without notice.