1980 Alden Skye
St. Petersburg FL, US
The Skye 51 was commissioned by the John G. Alden Company, designed by the naval architects Kaufman & Ladd of Annapolis and built by Mao Ta Shipyard in Taiwan. Eighteen Skye 51’s were built under the direct supervision of Alden and are highly sought after by world cruisers. S/v Cielo Grande is Hull number 1.
The design was for a “blue water performance cruising yacht” easily handled by a couple and intended for world voyaging. As such, The Skye 51 has been designed, engineered, and built to quality standards comparable with the finest yachts in the world. Few performance cruising designs built today have the exceptional strength, classic styling and beautiful Burma teak woodwork that the Skye 51 offers.
Cielo Grande is an exemplary Yacht with a spacious sleek open deck, large safe cockpit and wide side decks that make for comfortable and safe cruising.
The interior arrangement provides 2 separate en-suite cabins – one aft cabin with a double berth, private shower and head, and one forward cabin with a twin bunk over a double berth, also with full head.
The spacious saloon provides 2 secure pilot berths, a U shaped settee and large dining table.
Just aft of the Saloon are the updated galley and navigation station.
Aft of the captain’s cabin lies a large walk in engine room with the renowned 85 Hp Perkins 4.236 Marine Diesel.
The V-berth can serve as a crew cabin or storage for tools and sails.
Her cutter, ketch-rig with Harken furling jib and Facnor behind the mast furling on the mizzen allow her to easily be handled under any condition. The jib and mizzen sails are operated from the cockpit and when sailing under jib and jigger, she can be safely sailed single handed.
Cielo Grande is a world voyaging yacht that has completed two circumnavigations. The current owners spent the last two years cruising the Sea of Cortez, Pacific Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama before transiting the Panama Canal and sailing her to St. Petersburg, Florida. She underwent a major retrofit starting in 2015 to include: electrical, plumbing, refrigeration, stove, navigation, 2 autopilots, led lights, engine rebuild, water maker, roller furling, stainless work, canvas, solar, and removal of the teak deck.
She is well equipped to continue cruising the world off the grid in style, safety and comfort.
Videos are available on Youtube on the TwoCanSail channel.
- Built 1980, Hull number 1
- Major refit 2015- 2017 (over $150,000).
- Hull Material: Fiberglass
- Deck Material: Fiberglass with non skid, teak over fiberglass on bridge and cockpit.
- Long Fin Keel with Rudder on Skeg
- Ketch- Cutter Rigged Ketch
- Displacement: 19 Tons
- Ballast: 15,500 lbs.
- LOA: 50 feet- 10 inches
- LWL: 42 feet- 6 inches
- Beam: 14 foot- 2 inches
- Draft: 7 foot- 0 inches
- Water Tanks: 200 gallons
- Fuel Tanks: 104 gallons- (1) 50gal.; (2) 27gal.
- Holding Tank: 20 gallons
- Accommodations: Sleeps 7 in (2) double berths and (3) single berths.
Electrical and Navigation Equipment:
- Icom VHF Marine Radio with cockpit repeater. (New in 2015)
- B&G Zeus 2 Navigation multi-touch chartplotter with GPS. (New in 2015)
- B&G Go-Free wireless network. (New in 2015)
- B&G Instruments- depth, wind and speed. (New in 2015)
- B&G Sonic Hub bluetooth stereo system (New in 2015)
- B&G 4G Radar. (New in 2015)
- Simrad NAIS 400 Class B AIS unit. (New in 2015)
- Simrad AC42 autopilot computer. (New in 2015)
- Jefa Direct Drive, DD-2 autopilot drive. (New 2015).
- CPT Autopilot- Heavy duty wheel pilot. (New 2016).
- Electric windlass for anchor.
- 12V DC and 110V AC electrical system.
- Mastervolt 2500w/ 100amp Combi inverter/ charger. (New in 2015)
- Three 140 Amp Solar Panels. (New in 2015)
- Five 100 Amp Flexible Solar Panels. (New in 2015)
- Two Blue Sky 3000i Solar Boost computers. (New in 2015)
- 100 Amp alternator on engine. (New in 2015)
- Alternator charge computer. (New in 2015)
- 12v Mastervolt Battery Bank 1,040 Amp hours. (New in 2015)
- 12v Marine Start Battery in engine room. (New in 2015)
- Three 12V bilge pumps. (New in 2015)
- Whale Gusher manual bilge pump.
- 12v power sockets throughout. (New in 2015)
- 120v US-style power sockets throughout.
- 6 Caframo Cabin Fans
- LED Lights- Navigation, Cabin and Deck
Engine and Mechanical:
- Perkins 4-236 diesel engine, 82HP. (Rebuilt in 2015)
- Max Prop 3-blade folding prop
- B&G autopilot with Jefa DD-2 drive (New in 2015)
- CPT autopilot at helm. (New in 2016)
- Honda 2kw generator. (New in 2015)
- Large 12v Technautics Cool Blue fridge. (New in 2015)
- Large 12v Technautics Cool Blue freezer. (New in 2015)
- Hot and cold pressurised water. (New in 2015)
- Engine/ 120v water heater. (New in 2015)
- Manual saltwater pump.
- Cruise RO 30 Gallon/hr high output water maker. (New in 2015)
- Force 10 Propane Range and Stove. (New in 2015)
Rigging, Sails and Ground Tackle:
- Harken roller furling. (New in 2016)
- Facnor CF80 roller furling. (New in 2016)
- Lewmar primary sheet winches
- Barient halyard winches
- Mainsail with three reef points. (New in 2015)
- Hood 150% Genoa.
- Hood Staysail.
- Scott Furling Mizzen Sail.
- North Mizzen Staysail. (New in 2015)
- Spinnaker Sleeve by ATN. (New in 2015)
- North Asymmetrical Spinnaker. (Needs Repair Work)
- Lewmar Bruce-style claw Anchor
- 3/8 G4 Chain 325’
Safety and First-Aid:
- Zodiac 4 person liferaft (Inspection Expired)
- Six Offshore life jackets.
- Global Fix Pro EPIRB with GPS. (New in 2015)
- Four ABC powder fire extinguishers. (New in 2015)
- LifeSling MOB retrieval system. (New in 2015)
- Forespar MOB Pole.
- Sea anchor.
- Stainless Steel Bow Pulpit. (New in 2017)
- Stainless Steel Arch with Dinghy Davits and Solar Panel Support. (New in 2017)
- Cockpit Bimini. (New in 2016)
- Dodger Hatchway Sprayhood. (New in 2015)
- Sun Awning. (New in 2015)
- Deck shower. (New in 2015)
- Cockpit cushions. (New in 2016)
- Aluminum RIB with 20HP Yamaha engine. (New in 2015)
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
Contact Jeff Grossman cell#727-278-2602
or Jean Levine cell#727-644-7496