1982 Mason Ketch
Ft Lauderdale FL, US
New Deck Replacement, Bottom Job and Hull Wax! She’s a beauty and would make a wonderful live-a-board for coastal cruising or a capable off shore vessel with a few updates. Designed by Al Mason and constructed by the famed Ta Shing Yacht Builders, she is a sturdy ocean going vessel, and always the prettiest girl in the harbor.
She is currently waiting for her next owner while being cared for by a professional yacht management company.
The teak decks have been professionally removed and replaced with fiberglass, epoxy, algriped and then non- skid. The bottom has been refinished with soda blasting, 6 coats of epoxy barrier and two coats of paint. The hull has been waxed and buffed. All will complete this month- December 2018.
The Mason 63 is an Alvin Mason design, built in the Ta Shing Yacht Building Company Ltd. in Taiwan. Alvin Mason produced over 150 designs under his own name and had a leadership role in several other internationally recognized yacht design offices. Ta Shing Yacht Builders, established in 1947 was also the builder of other quality fiberglass sailing yachts including the Baba, Panda, Norseman, Tatoosh, Taswell and Hans Christian to name a few and is currently building the respected Nordhavn line of trawler and explorer yachts.
The Mason 63 was designed and built as a go anywhere, blue water, world cruiser that was in production in the early 1980's to mid 1980's.
More about Freedoms recent upgrades and maintenance: The engine is in good shape! A recent oil analysis found it to be internally healthy. All coolers were removed and serviced this year. All fuel lines are new. Alternator has been upgraded. Starter is about a year old, raw water pump is new. All hoses are new. She has been painted and detailed. Engine is run every other week. Head job including valves was done about 100 hrs ago. It really does not need anything. The oil and the tranny fluids are changed yearly. The engine was rebuilt and installed about 7 years ago. Genset is in similar condition but it is much newer. Cooler and raw water pump were replaced this year. Fuel filters have been upgraded and the fuel and takings were just cleaned. Very little of the internal machinery is original and the boat will survey well. Of the three AC units one is brand new. One is three years old and one is original. Fridge compressor for the cold plate system were just replaced. Chain plates were checked and all hardware replaced Running rigging is new. Mizzen sail is new , main and genoa were cleaned, sail slugs replaced and stored
Master Cabin: This full width cabin includes an aft companionway through teak doors with a hatch to the private owners cockpit. There are locker doors in the cockpit sides allowing access to under deck storage.
The Owner's cabin has excellent ventilation provided by:
- (1) Opening cabin top hatch
- (4) Opening ports
This large head is located forward port in the owners cabin and includes:
- Settee in shower stall
- Vanity with sink and hot and cold pressure water
- Stall shower
Jabsco electric head
Forward Guest Cabin
Forward of the galley is the guest cabin with a private head to starboard.
- Large V Berth with drawer and hanging locker
- 1 large single door
- (4) drawer dresser
- Large storage under the V berth
Starboard Guest Head
- Vanity with coutertop with mahogany trim
- Deck prism
- Sink with hot and cold running water
- stand up shower stall
- Jabsco Electric head
- Opening ports
This full galley features large counter top and storage areas, double stainless steel sinks, holding plate refrigerator/ freezer, convection oven and exhaust fan, stainless 3- burner oven/stove, garbage disposal. Ventilation is supplied to the galley by a fan and three opening ports.
Forward and port of the galley is the breakfast nook or office.
L-shaped dinette to starboard;
- L-shaped dining area- seats up to seven (converts to additional berth)
- Table- Twin pedestal custom varnished mahogany dining table
- Four large storage areas behind port settee
- Beneath port salon cushions is a 2500 Watt inverter/ charger
- Air conditioning/Heater reverse cycle- Three Units
- 3 HD color TVs with HD antennae
- BluRay DVD player
- 6- CD system main salon, owners cabin stereo/ cd with Bose speakers
- Bose speakers in main salon and cockpit with 200W Sony Marine Amplifier
ELECTRONICS AND NAVIGATION AIDS
- COMPASS 6” Danforth Constellation at the helm
- VHF Standard Horizon Eclipse (helm)
Icom IC-M125 (Below decks)
- WIND Two (2) Garmin GMI 10 displays
- DEPTH Garmin Depth sounder
- CHART / RADAR Garmin GPSMap 5215
- AUTOPILOT Garmin with GMC 10 control
Rigging, engine, electronics and electrical system are all bonded to the keel with extra heavy copper strapping for grounding.
Engine room is noise insulated. Rebuilt Detroit Diesel 453 engine with Borg Warner 72C hydraulic transmission.
- Borg Warner transmission
- 3 blade prop
- Aquamat 22 stainless 1 3/8" propeller shaft and spur
- Racor fuel filters- 2 for engine and one for generator
- (3) Jabsco electric bilge pumps
- Dockside water connection
- (3) 16,000- BTU AC units
- Instant Hot water heater
- Bilge blower
- Steering system Wagner hydraulic linear drive
Sails and Rigging
Freedom features aluminum Forespar masts and booms. Awlgrip painted white. The mast height is 71'
- double spreader
- section stepped on the keel and outfitted with
- Winch, rigging, rope clutches,
- Harken type sail track,
- Pole track with Antal car height adjuster,
- Lights, masthead wind instrument sending unit,
- Windex unit and antenna.
- Single spreader section
- Stepped below deck and outfitted with;
- Winches, rigging,
- Harken type sail track, rope clutch,
- Light fixtures,
- Television antenna,
- Harken Mk III furling system
- Navtec hydraulic cylinder, partially insulated backstay with split legs and a Navtec hydraulic adjuster,
- Barrow Sails (Trinidad) full batten main with two reef points
- North Sails full batten mizzen with one reef point
- Hild roller furling genoa
Hull and Deck
Hand laid fiberglass matt and woven in alternate layers, with two layers approximately 3" thick. All areas such as chain plates, keel bolts, and stem are laminated of solid glass adding extra thickness for strength.
- All high stress areas are reinforced with solid glass
- Teak rub rail with stainless cap
One piece deck, deckhouse and cockpits are hand laid fiberglass;
- Deck scuppers are recessed
- Bronze seacock thru hull fittings with Monel fasteners
- Stainless 2.5" rudder post
- Fitted for emergency steering manual tiller
- White deck house
- Gold boot stripe'
- Varnished teak exterior trim
- Polished Stainless stem head and stern pulpits
- Polished Stainless stanchions with double life lines and gates
- Polished Stainless hand rails
- (3) opening hatches
- Varnished teak trim- includes toe rails, eyebrows, both cockpit coaming caps, hatch boxes.
There is a custom enclosure for the center cockpit helm. High coamings and large seats in the spacious center cockpit provide a secure combined working and entertainment area for helmsman and passengers.
- Binnacle compass with cover and stainless binnacle guard
- Cockpit cushions
- Engine controls
Anchor and Rode:
- 135 # CQR w/ 350' 5/8" stainless chain
- 65 # CQR
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.
For Specific Details Call or E-mail