2001 Wormwood Ocean 55'
Fort Lauderdale FL, US
"AVALON" IS PRICED TO SELL
August 2018: Brand new 39hp Yanmar Engines + Saildrives
August 2018: Brand new bottom paint
From the drawing board of high-performance catamaran designer, Peter Wormwood, comes the Wormwood 55. And this boat is fast! I have sailed her myself down the Chesapeake Bay at 18.5 knots in a thunderstorm. I was passing lots of power boats. I then sailed her out into the Atlantic up to Newport. I can tell you this boat lollygags at 12 knots with the main well reefed down for easy night sailing. The owner of this boat has spent many thousands of dollars on her in the past two years. He has owned for over a decade.
"AVALON" is currently lying in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This past year the owner conducted a complete structural check and reinforcements, new carbon bimini with walk-on solar panels, refit of electric systems, new paint on the mast and reshaping of the rudders for better helm balance just to name a few, spending over $125,000 to make her ready for a circumnavigation. A change of family plans has, for now, nixed that vision.
"AVALON" arrived in Fort Lauderdale in July 2015 where she is now seriously for sale. A few things to note: She is U.S. designed, and U.S. built and may therefore be modified to do high performance charter work. As anyone knows, replacement value for a cat with this sort of performance and materials is well over 1 million dollars. Avalon will have great appeal to a sailor who wants a very high performance cat that can cross oceans safely and offer good live-aboard comforts.
Designed to cruise the oceans of the world at speed with a small crew, "AVALON" has the long legs necessary for blue water sailing. As you step aboard, you will discover that the cockpit is a lounger paradise.Centered in the cockpit is a table that expands to provide dining up to 10 people. Double sliding doors and large opening windows allow easy access and excellent communication between the cockpit and main saloon. She has deep rectractable daggerboards that give her great performance to wind; retracting both daggerboards and rudders the boat draws a mere 2’6" and allows you to reach anchorages otherwise precluded. A special boat for serious sailors. Call Phil to learn more about "AVALON"
Full SpecsDIMENSIONS + DETAILS
- 2001, 55' Wormwood Catamaran Custom Built Sailboat
- Color: White with Grey graphics
- Beam: 28'
- Max Draft: 2'6"/4'3"
- Max Bridge Clearance: about 5'
- Displacement: 12 Tons
- Steering: Tiller
- Keel: 2' 6"/6' 0"/10' = 3 positions
- Condition of sails: Good
- "AVALON" has 3 double cabins, one single, one sailor bunk
- 2 bathrooms with separate shower stand
- Aft cabins have in suite sinks
- Sleeps 8 people
- Wood floor in Salon
- Hull have Lonseal Lonwood TS Marine Flooring - Teak and Holly
- "AVALON" is a very comfortable boat that can be easily managed by a couple thanks to a rig based on a full roach main and a small non-overlapping self tacking jib. She is probably the fastest cruising cat of her size
SAILS, HARDWARE AND ON DECK
- Cockpit walk-on Carbon Bimini for maximum shade and comfort at anchor
- New sails in 2012 but the boat did not sail in 2013 and 2014 while being refit: Main and jib in Spectra and carbon laminate, heavy dacron storm jib, new asym spi (genneker) used twice since new in 2015, Dacron screecher on roller furler
- All Andersen stainless winches
- Harken mainsail car tracks and main and jib travelers
- Anchor: Rocna 40kg (2012) with new chain (2015), 100'
- GPS: Raymarine Depth sounder, Wind and Speed instruments: Raymarine St 60/I70 (double sets one on each side)
- Raymarine AIS and Lifetag MOB alarm, EPIRB
- VHF Radio brand and model: Sailor
- All new electric system with 24V, 12V, 110V, 220V.
- Batteries - 300Ah@24V
- Fisher Panda AGT 4000 generator (New in 2015) never used
- Victron Energie Combi inverter charger 2500 kva (2003)
- Inmarsat Fleet 33 phone and data connection (2003)
- Icom SSB M-802 (2003)
- Village Marine Watermaker 200 Gallons per day ~ New membrane 2015
- Frigoboat Freezer (2003)
- Frigoboat Fridge (2003)
- Raymarine radar - chartplotter (C-MAP) (2003)
- Navtext receiver (2003)
- 406 GPS EPIRB (2012)
- 2 x Force10 water heaters (2012)
- 4x Gioco Solutions solar panels for total 450 watts (2015)
- 1x Air-x wind generator (2012)
- 2x Simrad - Robertson Autopilots for complete redundancy (electro-hydraulic rams new 2015)
- This is a custom built vessel
- 2 6' compass
- Standard Horizon Intrepid VHF
- Sony Stereo
- Pathfinder RL 70C Radar
- RN300 GPS
- Carbon bimini
- Frigoboat Refrigerator
- Electric Induction Stove
- Fischer Panda AGT 4000 (New 2015) ~ has not been used since
- AB 360 RIB (13') with 20HP Honda 4 stroke (2015)
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice.