Stravagin ll is a wonderful example of the Lyle Hess-designed and Sam Morse-built Bristol Channel Cutter!
She was a hull and deck version that was purchased by a Maine schooner Captain who planned to finish her off himself. She was trucked across to Maine but sat in storage for a year. The Captain never accomplished his dream and the boat was purchased by her present owner in 2007.
The boat was completed by Apache Marine under the direction of shipwright Bill Buchholt.
The boat was completed to Morse factory levels and launched in 2010.
She was the last hull done at the Morse factory in Costa Mesa. Everything needed to finish the boat was supplied by Cape George Marine, the company that bought the Morse molds when Morse folded.
The present owners have sailed the boat from Maine to Grenada and around the Caribbean islands and back to Florida. The owners only used the boat for 3 months a year.
She is presently on the hard in Indiantown. The owners came down and spent a couple of months going over everything and she can be launched and sail away!
The sails are stored in an airconditioned locker in Stuart along with the wind generator, Lin Pardy-designed drogue, and numerous spare parts and other items.
She has a lightly used Yanmar 3YM diesel engine with approximately 1,000 hours. High output Balmar alternator, double fuel filters. She has a 16″ max prop too.
The bottom has the ten-year copper coat on it. A light sanding and it’s good year after year.
All the canvas is in good condition, the varnish was just done, engine serviced, just a well-maintained and loved pocket cruiser.
She also has the unique Morse self-steering system that works off a trim tab on the rudder.
I could go on about Stravagin ll because she is such a cool boat. Oh yeah, she comes with a “Fatty Knees” sailing dinghy!!
Full SpecsBoat Name
Beam: 10.67 ft
Maximum Draft: 4.67 ft
Displacement: 14,000 lb
Ballast: 4,600 lb
Headroom: 6.17 ft
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Engine Model: 3YM
Engine/Fuel Type: diesel
Engine Power: 29|horsepower
Engine Type: Inboard
Fresh Water Tanks: 1 (68 Gallon)
Fuel Tanks: 1 (28 Gallon)
Number of single berths: 1
Number of cabins: 1
Number of heads: 1
- Sleeps 3 in a quarter berth plus a pullout double
- The forward cabin has a head with a holding tank plus a sink and storage area.
- Access to the anchor locker which has a lot of storage
- The is a door that closes off the head which covers it up when not in use.
- The galley is to port and features :
- Diesel stove and oven
- Refrigeration and freezer
- Double SS sink with hot and cold water
- Lots of storage for a boat this size
- Lockers and drawers
- Corian counter tops
- Hot water heater
- Dishes and flatwear
- Pull out garbage holder
- 29 hp Yanmar diesel engine with 1000 hours
- Double Raycor filters
- 28 gal fuel tank
Deck and sails
- Forespar mast and boom
- Fiberglass decks with non-skid pattern
- Lewmar 12 v electric windlass, ABI classic bronze windlass
- 35 lb CQR and 35 lb in stainless steel cradle on the bowsprit
- Collapsible Fortress in Lazzerette
- 250' of 5/16 chain
- 6 opening bronze ports in the salon, 2 nonopening in the forward cabin
- Opening hatch forward and butterfly hatch over the main salon
- Lifelines with bronze stantions
- 2 X dorade vents
- Bulwarks and brightwork have all been recently done and are in excellent condition
- Bronze boom gallows
- Comfortable cockpit
- Good canvas dodger and hatch covers