INDEPENDENCE is Hylas Yachts’ most recent construction of the H70 Flagship series. She was designed by renowned German Frers and built by one of the world’s most experienced quality yacht builders, Queen Long Marine, exclusively for Hylas Yachts. Without compromise, INDEPENDENCE has enjoyed the benefit of a professionally managed maintenance program under the constant care of the same captain since her commissioning in August 2015.
With a spacious 4-stateroom interior arrangement, exquisite teak joinery with louvered cabinetry, raised panel doors, and modern bamboo cabin sole with teak stringers, INDEPENDENCE is a yacht designed to enhance the comfort and enjoyment of her crew and is especially well suited to long-distance cruising. Her equipment and amenities are simply unmatched and, upon inspection, will be noted to be superior to any current offering in her class.
The gorgeous teak deck is finished with light-colored caulking chosen for its modern aesthetics and gentleness on the feet in the warm summer sun. The deck is unrestricted, flowing to meet the topsides with a graceful sheer and a reverse counter stern with an integral swim platform and transom garage. The lines of the Hylas 70 are both modern and timeless. She’s beautiful.
Whether you’re a coastal cruiser, potential circumnavigator, or seeking a yacht with charter potential, INDEPENDENCE is a luxury performance cruising yacht with the integrity, exquisite finish, and state-of-the-art systems necessary to go anywhere.
- Bow thruster and retractable stern thruster
- New generation deck styling with the wrap-around raised salon window design
- The lowest hours of any H70 currently offered for resale with the larger and improved Yanmar 6BY 3rd generation 260 HP engine and desirable Northern Lights 12kW generator.
- Fully integrated Bose audio/visual entertainment system with four independent zones
- Incredibly well-equipped galley with six refrigerator/freezer units, 5-burner stovetop with oven and broiler, dishwasher, wine cooler, trash compactor, convection oven, and espresso machine
- KVH TracPhone and TracVision satellite systems for high-speed internet, phone, and television
- Navigation and communication for unrestricted global voyaging; four touchscreen Lighthouse II displays, the latest Raymarine i70 instruments, and extensive communication equipment, including both SSB and Sat systems
- Spectra water maker with autorun and self-maintaining cycles upgraded with Z-Ion membrane protection system
- CruiseAir 4-zone 66,000 BTU reverse cycle air conditioning system
- Separate full-size washing machine and dryer
- Simpson electric davits
Full SpecsBoat Name
Beam: 18 ft
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Engine Model: 6BY3-260
Engine/Fuel Type: diesel
Fresh Water Tanks: 4 (360 Gallon)
Fuel Tanks: 4 (740 Gallon)
Holding Tanks: 4 (88 Gallon)
Number of cabins: 4
Number of heads: 4
INDEPENDENCE has a four-cabin layout with a large VIP stateroom forward, a double guest cabin forward and to port, a guest/crew cabin with over under bunks off the aft starboard passageway, and a sizeable master stateroom aft. The VIP, guest/crew, and master staterooms feature ensuite private heads.
The main salon of INDEPENDENCE is an oasis on the water. A notable feature is the newer styling of the raised salon windows, through which natural light fills the main salon. The tasteful, contemporary styling of the yacht was accomplished with the advisement of Merle Stewart Design in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Custom soft goods, pillows, throws and tucked leatherette upholstery make for a very appealing and welcoming interior.
The galley is located aft and to the port of the main salon. It features a large walkthrough layout with top-of-the-line appliances and numerous unique features designed to enhance your and your guest's enjoyment and comfort aboard the yacht. To starboard is a functional navigator station with a wrap-around deck and a full complement of equipment designed for global voyaging.
Interior Styling & Features:
- Bamboo cabin sole with teak stringers throughout the yacht, including in the heads
- Louvered solid teak cabinetry and raised panel doors with custom radial styling.
- Teak joinery with satin varnish finishes in the main salon, galley, and living quarters.
- White Oak walls and joinery in the heads with complimenting dark teak accents and trim
- Blue Pearl granite countertop surfaces and backsplashes in the galley and heads
- Merle Steward Designs of Fort LauderdaleTucked Leatherette upholstery in the main salon
- Custom throw pillows for main salon settees
- Two sets of custom-fitted, high thread count sheets and pillowcases in each cabin
- Custom fitted duvets and comforters in each cabin.
- Large deck hatches with teak trim and opening screens throughout with OceanAir SkyScreen 2 concealed hatch screens and shades in the master stateroom.
- Teak grab rails and fiddled surfaces for traversing the interior while underway
- Isolus 2.5" liquid gel memory foam mattress toppers with custom covers for each berth
The main salon of INDEPENDENCE is both spacious and bright as a result of her 18 ft. beam; large wrap-around raised salon windows, two large deck hatches, and fixed hull windows. An L-shaped settee wraps around the large custom teak table with ebony, and holy compass rose inlay to port. Inboard, two folding bench seats with tie-down anchors can be installed for additional seating or serve as cocktail tables with the cushions removed. To starboard is a full-length settee with a coffee table. Outboard of both settees, cabinets, and bookshelves provide storage.
Forward VIP Stateroom
Guests will appreciate the comfort and luxury of the large forward VIP stateroom with its island centerline queen berth, an abundance of storage, and ensuite access to the forward head and shower. The stateroom is inviting, with natural light entering through the forward hull windows and a large deck hatch with teak trim and screen.
Above and on either side of the berth are several cabinets, bookshelves, and fiddled shelving. At the foot of the berth are two huge drawers. To starboard is a tall hanging locker, and to port is a wardrobe with a bank of three drawers below.
VIP Ensuite Head and Day Head with Shared Shower
The ensuite head for the VIP stateroom and day head, accessible by the forward passageway, features three mirrored medicine cabinets, fiddled granite countertops and backsplash, a sink, and Jabsco freshwater electric flush toilets. Both heads share a stall shower equipped with a linen closet outboard and teak shower grate and seat. Ventilation is provided by two 3-speed Bora fans and three opening portlights.
Forward Guest Stateroom
The guest cabin is located forward of the main salon and to port. The comfortable double cabin features a sizeable Pullman style berth and convenient access to the forward head across the passageway. Three large cabinets outboard, a wardrobe forward, and a nightstand with fiddled shelving and drawers offer ample storage. This is a light and well-ventilated cabin with three opening portlights, a large screened deck hatch, and a dorade vent overhead.
Under the berth are a full-size washing machine and a separate dryer. This has proven to be very convenient and highly desirable when cruising. The water maker is also housed here and includes a custom enclosure designed to allow the storage of items in the locker without fear of damaging the components.
Aft Guest/Crew Cabin
Designed for crew accommodations but used more frequently by the current owner for when the grandchildren are aboard, the aft guest/crew cabin is accessed through the aft passageway and features over-under single bunks with drawers beneath, a tall hanging locker, two opening portlights, as well as reading lights and a 3-speed Bora fan for each berth. Ensuite head with separate stall shower.
Aft Head with Ensuite Access from the Guest/Crew Cabin and Master Stateroom
Aft and to starboard, the aft head is accessible from both the guest/crew cabin and the master stateroom. This head includes three mirrored medicine cabinets, a sink, Jabsco freshwater electric flush toilet, a separate stall shower with a teak grate, a shower seat, and a linen closet. A 3-speed Bora fan and opening portlights in both the head and shower for ventilation.
With the beam of the Hylas 70 carried well aft, the master stateroom of INDEPENDENCE is especially large and spacious. The centerline island berth has a width of 66 in. and is very comfortable thanks to the Isolus liquid gel memory foam mattress topper and elegant designer bedding with high thread count. Two large deck hatches with OceanAir screens and shades and two opening portlights provide excellent natural light and ventilation.
Storage and personal space are superb with his and her wardrobes, cabinets, desktop surfaces, and drawers to port and starboard. Additional cabinets and nightstands with fiddled shelving are located at the head of the berth. A bank of three drawers is situated at the foot of the berth and on the forward bulkhead. One great feature of the master stateroom is the dual ensuite heads. This configuration allows access to both the private aft head and the guest/crew cabin head.
Private Head Ensuite to Master Stateroom
A private owner's head to port with four mirrored medicine cabinets, a tall linen closet, sink, granite countertops and backsplash, Jabsco fresh water electric flush toilet, and a spacious stall shower with a teak shower grate and seat. Two opening portlights and a 3-speed Bora fan provide ventilation.
INDEPENDENCE features four heads and three separate stall showers; a forward head ensuite for the VIP stateroom, which shares a stall shower with the day head, and an ensuite head with stall shower for the aft guest/crew cabin, which is also accessible from the master stateroom, and the owners private head with stall shower ensuite to master stateroom.
To accentuate the size and space of each head, White Oak was selected for its lighter tone and more subdued grain. The countertops and backsplash are Blue Pearl granite with White Oak fiddles. The headliner, shower frames, towel racks, and linen closets are trimmed with a selection of dark teak for a pleasing contrast to the White Oak and the Bamboo sole with teak stringers.
- (4) Jabsco fresh water electric flush heads
- (3) Separate stall showers with glass doors and teak frames
- White Oak joinery with team trim
- Blue Pearl granite countertop and backsplash
- Bamboo cabin sole with teak inlay
- Showers have molded fiberglass floors with white Awlgrip walls
- Mirrored medicine cabinets with teak fiddled shelves
- Teak and stainless steel towel racks
- Ambassador Marine faucets and ShurFlo shower heads
- 3-Speed 12VDC Bora vans, opening portlights, and teak trimmed deck hatches with screens for ventilation
With an emphasis on comfort and functionality and designed for long-distance voyaging, the galley of INDEPENDENCE was explicitly configured to ensure unparalleled luxury at sea or anchor. Galley features include two highly efficient 12VDC stainless steel front-loading refrigerators, an additional pullout beverage chiller, and three pullout freezer units with an icemaker, wine chiller, dishwasher, convection oven, 5-burner cooktop, oven and broiler, and even an espresso machine.
The Blue Pearl granite countertop with teak fiddling and coordinating backsplash is stunning and aesthetically pleasing and provides nearly 34 sq. ft. of preparation surface. Storage is abundant and well-thought-out, with numerous deep cabinets with louvered doors for flatware and provisions, a pantry, lots of drawers for silverware and galleyware, and a cookery locker beneath the oven. Two shallow cabinets above the sink make for an ideal spice rack. The galley is well ventilated by design, located adjacent to the main hatch and with three opening portlights, one inboard, and two outboards.
- Blue Pearl granite countertop and backsplash with teak fiddles
- (2) Frigoboat MS Series front opening stainless steel refrigerator boxes with 12VDC Frigomatic compressors and dual Guardian digital temperature controls
- (4) Virtifrigo 12VDC pullout fridge and freezer drawers; one unit is configured with an ice maker/freezer, two are freezers, and one is a refrigerator.
- OceanChef XL 5 burner gimbaled propane stove with oven and broiler.
- Avanti wine chiller
- Fisher & Paykel pullout dishwasher
- Broan Elite trash compactor
- GE Advantium 120 convection oven
- Delonghi Magnifica ESAM 3300 automatic coffee and espresso machine
- (2) Custom stainless-steel sinks with chrome ShurFlo pullout faucet and dedicated tap for SeaGull filtered drinking water
- Coffee and espresso machine
- Miyabi knife set and block, assorted galley essentials, glasses, flatware, and silverware
INDEPENDENCE was designed to provide an environment of relaxation and enjoyment for all those aboard. With that goal in mind, she was equipped with a state-of-the-art entertainment system integrated throughout the yacht with 4-zones of independent audio, Smart TVs in both the master and VIP staterooms, and the main salon with full 5.1 surround sound, and high-speed broadband connectivity and satellite TV service.
- Samsung 40" LED TV in the main salon integrated with a DirecTV+HDR H24 Sat receiver, Apple TV, and Samsung Bluray player, as well as the GS125 multifunction display at the nav station
- Samsung 32" LED TV in the owners' stateroom with DirecTV H25 sat receiver.
- Samsung 26" LED TV in the forward cabin with DirecTV H25 Sat receiver
- Bose V35 Series entertainment system networked throughout the yacht enabling audio enjoyment throughout 4-Zones independently, each with a dedicated Bose SA-3 amp, Bose PMCIII remote, and auxiliary audio input.
- AdaptiQ flushes mounted interior speakers, JL Audio speakers in the cockpit, and Bose speakers on the aft deck.
- Glomex digital TV antenna and gain controller
Navigation and Electronics
Equipped for near-limitless voyaging, INDEPENDENCE features an extensive navigation and electronics suite installed by Lamplighter Marine, among the best installers in the industry. Lighthouse II multifunction touchscreen displays are located at each helm, in the cockpit, and at the navigator station and are each equipped with a remote keypad and integrated with the Raymarine high definition radar, AIS transceiver, SiriusXM weather, i70 MFD displays, and various transducers.
The communication suite on INDEPENDENCE enables connectivity anywhere on the globe with KVH Tracphone, TracVision sat systems, an Inmarsat Satphone system, and a variety of ICOM radios, including a high-frequency single sideband radio and a VHF CommandMic III at the helm.
The mid-ship to starboard's navigator station features an L-shaped desk with two banks of drawers, a three-way adjustable seat trimmed with tan leather, and an outboard chart table with an ebony and holly compass rose inlay and a forward-facing computer desk, each with folding desktops and storage inside.
Outboard the navigator station, the yacht's systems can be closely monitored and controlled with various panels for the battery systems, water maker, and tank monitors. The navigation and communication equipment is mounted to a hinged panel, allowing easy access to the wiring and system components.
- Tracphone V3ip Mini-VSat broadband data and phone satellite system
- TracVision HD7 satellite TV antenna with (3) DirecTV receivers
- Raymarine Lighthouse II multifunction touch screen displays 15.4" units at both helms, one in a NavPod pedestal adjacent to the companionway, and a 12,1" display at the nav station. Each with RMK-9 keypad remotes.
- Raymarine 24" 4kW high definition digital radar with a 48NM range
- Raymarine autopilot with ACU400 computer, EV1 fluxgate compass, Lewmar Mamba drive unit, Smart Controller wireless remote, and p70 control heads at each helm
- Raymarine i70 color multifunction instrument displays, (3) across the companionway and one at each helm
- ICOM IC-M802 HF single sideband radio with AT140 auto tuner and insulated backstay antenna
- ICOM IC-M506 VHF radio with DSC and CommandMic III remote at the port helm
- ICOM IC-M73 handheld VHF radio
- ICOM SP-24 hailer
- Inmarsat iSat satellite system with two handsets
- (2) Raymarine RS130 WAAS GPS receivers
- Raymarine DST800 Depth/Speed/Temp Transducer
- ST60+ Wind vane transducer at the masthead
- Raymarine AIS650 AIS transceiver (New 2021)
- SR150 SiriusXM Weather receiver
- Wave WiFi system with Cisco wireless router
Construction and Key Design Features of the Hull and Deck
The hull of INDEPENDENCE is constructed of solid, hand-laid, Twaron carbon aramid fiber reinforced GRP utilizing Vinylester resins and Isophthalic gel coat. Five layers of epoxy Interprotect and an additional three coats of bottom paint ensure superior protection against osmosis. The hull was designed with two watertight bulkheads; a collision bulkhead at the bow and a watertight stern section across the aft lazarettes. The hull is nearly flawless, with a white gel coat, blue cove, double boot stripes, a natural teak rub rail with stainless steel striker, and black bottom paint. The rudder incorporates a 60% partial skeg, with the bottom of the rudder plane designed to be above the lowest point of the keel for grounding protection.
The deck comprises hand-laid laminates with a ¾ in. end-grain balsa core. In areas of high stress, such as where deck fittings take compressive or tensile forces, the deck is solid fiberglass. The hull to deck joint is chemically bonded with 3M 5200 and mechanically fastened with stainless steel through bolts.
The bow is well protected with a substantial 316 stainless steel stem fitting with a striker plate and double bow roller, a signature feature of every Hylas Yacht. The forepeak is a near 10 ft deep sail locker with a segmented chain locker.
At the transom, an additional stainless-steel plate offers protection for the stern. The swim platform has LED courtesy lights and stainless steel handrails, a shower, and a folding swim ladder, perfect for the enjoyment of water activities. A sizeable stern garage provides impressive storage space and ample room for a dive compressor and scuba equipment. Two large lazarettes are located to port and starboard. All deck lockers have Baily latches and independent overboard drains.
The bonded teak deck has light-colored caulking that is modern and aesthetically pleasing and ensures the deck is substantially cooler than a traditional teak deck. The toe rail and handrails on deck are natural teak. Seven Manship stainless steel low-profile hatches, eighteen opening portlights with screen inserts, four flush hatches, and two dorade boxes with stainless cowlings provide excellent ventilation below. The stern rail extends to midship. The stanchions with uncoated double lifelines, over 33 inches high and 1 ½ inch in diameter, with substantial backing for safety at sea and comfort while moving about the deck.
- The only H70 for sale today with the more modern styled raised salon windows, an updated design more in line with the current generation of Hylas yachts.
- Bonded teak decking with light-colored caulking on the main deck, foredeck, aft deck, and coach roof with natural teak handrails and toe rail. The teak has been professionally maintained and treated with Semco sealant.
- Simpson S300 24VDC electric davits (660 lb. capacity) with Dyneema lines, wireless remote control, and Bellybands to secure the tender
- There is an exceptional amount of storage on deck with two large lazarettes, a full-beam transom garage accessible from the swim platform and aft deck, and a massive sail locker forward with a segmented chain compartment. All lockers have Baily latches and independent overboard drains.
- Stainless steel pushpit with teak transom seats and solid rails that extend to the midship boarding gates
- Midship boarding gates to port and starboard with removable stainless steel and teak ladder
- Heavy-duty stanchions and double uncoated lifelines over 33 in. tall for safety at sea
- Large swim platform with teak steps, stainless steel handrails, hot/cold shower, and LED courtesy lights
- Heavy-duty stainless steel mooring cleats (4) at the stern, (4) midship, and (4) at the bow
- Dorade boxes with stainless steel cowlings and rails on the foredeck (2)
- (7) Manship low-profile deck hatches with 316 stainless steel frames and smoked acrylic lenses, opening portlights with screen inserts (18), and (4) fixed portlights in the hull
- All deck hatch gas pistons were upgraded with high quality Izerwarren stainless steel cylinders.
- (2) Stainless steel deck masts on the aft deck for the sat system and antenna array
- Heavy-duty pad-eyes in the cockpit and on deck for utility purposes, jack lines, and harness hardpoints for offshore sailing
- Glendinning Cablemaster electric shore power cable spools
- Deck courtesy lights
Mast and Rigging
- Keel stepped Selden triple spreader aluminum mast with hydraulic in-mast furling
- Selden boom featuring custom built-in preventor with cockpit controls enabling easing deployment and retrieval
- Selden Furlex hydraulic furling genoa and staysail
- Split backstay with SSB insulator and Harken